A helmet camera is also known by other names such as micro video camera, lipstick camera, or bullet camera. It is defined as an action camera, which is typically a closed circuit television camera, that is being connected to a helmet. In this manner, a person can create a visual recording right from their own point of view (POV). They can make a recording without using their hands and vision.
Helmet cameras are popular among extreme sports enthusiasts. The best thing about a helmet camera is not it will not obstruct your vision and at the same time, you can keep your hands free. Helmet cameras are usually small with a cylindrical shape. They look like a lipstick tube or a bullet which is why it is named as such. Helmet cameras have two categories based on the kind of sensor that they use – CCD (charge-coupled device) and CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor).
Helmet cameras can be used in different activities such as sports, movie making, making documentaries, military and others. Here, we have reviewed 7 helmet camera products and compared them one by one so as to discover the best product.
7 Best Helmet Camera Reviews for Extreme Use
GoPro HERO3 Helmet Camera
Versatile shooting modes for pros
Mengshen MS-F9E Mini Sports Helmet Camera
1080p Sports Camera System
ContourROAM Waterproof Camcorder
Waterproof and Buoyant, Easy to use
GoPro HD Motorsports Hero
Professional-grade full HD video up to 1080p
GoPro Hero4 Helmet Camera Silver
Professional 1080p60 and 720p
GoPro Hero4 Helmet Camera Black
Professional 4K30, 2.7K60 and 1080p
OnLyee 4K WIFI Sports Action Camera
Ultra HD Waterproof DV Camcorder
Helmet Camera Reviews
The GoPro HERO3 helmet camera is our top choice due to several reasons. It has a sleek design that consists of three different colors which are black, silver and white. Out of the three, the black version has the highest performance. If you are an adventurer then the GoPro HERO3 is the perfect helmet camera for you. It has several features but one of its significant benefits is that it has the highest recording resolution.
- This helmet camera is proud to have a 12MP burst capture which is actually twice or thrice the resolution of any other helmet camera. It is best for adventurers who are very passionate about their hobbies.
- Enjoy a cinematic experience when recording with its 30 fps (frames per second). It’s perfect when you are biking, paragliding or just exploring.
- This helmet camera is also ideal for your sea adventure since it is waterproof. You can record anything from the depth of 197 feet.
- It is also shockproof with less recording distortion. With this feature, you can capture each moment perfectly with good quality.
- You can adjust and rotate it the way you want it.
- It only weighs 2.6 oz which is very light, you won’t even notice that it’s there.
- One of its greatest features is the built-in Wi-Fi which includes a waterproof Wi-Fi remote. By having Wi-Fi, you can control your helmet cam using your iOS smartphone or tablet.
- It does not include an internal memory but you can purchase an SDHC memory card.
Overall, GoPro HERO3 is the best helmet camera due to its numerous advantages. One of its best features is its highest recording quality. If you are mainly concerned about the quality then choosing the GoPro HERO3 helmet camera is a wise decision.
In like manner, the Mengshen MS-F9E Helmet Camera is our second best buy helmet camera. It includes numerous great features at a reasonable price. It is perfect for recording any kind of sports such as climbing, skiing, and riding. After attaching the camera, you won’t have to worry about anything. The Mengshen MS-F9E is built for all adventurers out there.
- This helmet cam has a recording quality of full HD 1080p. It is quite lower compared to the GoPro HERO3 however, it can still create a sharp and crisp video quality.
- It has a recording time of 2.5 hours. For a helmet camera, this is quite remarkable since most of them can only reach 1.5 hours of recording time. With its superb recording time, you can capture everything while running a marathon or riding a bike.
- It is small and light, in fact, you can’t even feel that you’re wearing it at all.
- This helmet camera cannot be rotated or adjusted.
- This is waterproof but you cannot use it for diving or surfing.
- It has no built-in WiFi connectivity.
The Mengshen MS-F9E Helmet Camera is an excellent camera with a good video footage. It is surely a cool and worthy camera for your adventures and explorations.
Now, the ContourROAM Waterproof HD Helmet Camera is our third choice. It is one of the bestselling products with excellent features. Numerous people purchase this particular camera due to its low price. It has a classic bullet or lipstick design which is quite small and light. Aside from having a reasonable price, it is also waterproof.
- It has an amazing recording time of up to 2 hours.
- With 5MP, you can enjoy good quality video footage which is sharp and crisp.
- You can rotate it and adjust it which is perfect for any kind of adventure.
- This helmet camera is ideal for your underwater adventures since it is waterproof.
- The ContourROAM Waterproof HD helmet camera is very durable.
- It does not include an internal memory, however, it is compatible with up to 32GB of SDHC memory.
- You will not be able to enjoy Wi-Fi.
- It’s waterproof but it’s not great for recording areas where there is poor lighting.
If you can’t afford to buy the GoPro HERO3 helmet camera then you can choose the ContourROAM Waterproof HD helmet camera. It is a durable camera that is waterproof and adjustable. Although it may not be the best product it has good reviews with good sales.
The GoPro HD Motorsports Hero is our fourth choice. This is a full HD video cam of up to 1080p which comes with easy-to-apply mounts. This camera can be attached to various types of helmet, car, motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, jet ski, boat, or any kind of transportation. This camera is perfect for mountain bikers, auto racers, sailors as well as videographers who want to have unique shots.
- The GoPro HD Hero Motorsports has the ability to capture videos as well as still photos in different resolutions and frame rates up to 1080i full HD.
- It has a wide variety of choices for mounting and some parts can be replaced.
- Its polycarbonate shell is waterproof, shockproof, and even replaceable.
- The videos are great in different modes.
- The still photos have good quality.
- It has a time-lapse feature.
- The options for mounting are endless.
- Accurate aiming is hard since it does not have a viewfinder.
- The product has a small LCD display.
- Similarly, it has a confusing menu, therefore, you must read the manual first.
- It has a low-light performance.
If you need a camera that can capture crisp HD video then the GoPro HD Hero is the best option. It also features more flexibility with regards to its resolution and mounting choices. However, some users complain that it is difficult to operate since it has a two-button interface and a small screen.
By the same token, the GoPro Hero4 Silver is our fifth choice. It has a built-in WiFi as well as a Bluetooth. This model shares some common features with Hero4 Black and Hero3+ Black. The Hero4 Silver can record video in various resolutions up to 1080p at 60fps and 720p at 120fps. It also features updated components along with new recording options.
- This action camera captures the best video.
- It has lots of resolution and frame-rate choices for beginners and expert shooters.
- It has a built-in touchscreen which makes it easy for you to preview and review.
- A housing is required to make it waterproof.
- Its battery is redesigned which means that you won’t be able to use your old batteries.
- Some users complain about short battery life.
- In-camera digital image stabilization is not available.
The GoPro Hero4 Silver has features which are also found in Hero3+ Black, especially good video quality. Aside from this, it also includes new features such as a touchscreen. This is why it is considered as one of the best action cameras for beginners and experts. GoPro Hero 4 Silver exceeds GoPro Hero 4 Black when it comes to usability and overall performance.
Notably, the GoPro Hero 4 Black is our sixth best helmet camera. It offers a 4K resolution at 30fps as well as 1080p at 120fps. As an addition, its usability and optics are also improved and upgraded. Among the GoPro models, this one is the most advanced. If your priority is image quality then purchase GoPro Hero 4 Black.
- The camera produces the best video resolutions of up to 4K at 30fps or 1080p at 120fps.
- It has a wide array of mounting options from GoPro as well as third-party manufacturers.
- Battery life is short due to battery redesign.
- Older batteries will not work with GoPro Hero4.
- In-camera digital image stabilization is not possible.
- A housing is required to make it waterproof.
Most people choose GoPro Hero4 Silver, however, if you require the best video quality along with numerous shooting options then go for GoPro Hero4 Black.
Meanwhile, the OnLyee Sports Action Camera is our seventh choice. This helmet camera has everything you need. You can take pictures anywhere – from your bike, car, underwater or simply attach it to your helmet.
- This camera features 4K Ultra HD Video Quality.
- It is ideal for any outdoor activities.
- The ultra-clear 2 inch LCD screen can let you view what you are capturing.
- It is durable enough to withstand any extremities in the environment.
- This helmet camera is waterproof of up to 30m.
- It has a WiFi connectivity which permits you to control the camera by using your smartphone, Ipad, or tablet.
The OnLyee Sports Action Camera is the best action camera at a reasonable price. This portable camera is your best companion for your outdoor adventures such as biking, surfing, skydiving and much more.
A helmet camera is a fantastic tool for capturing those amazing moments. It is a must for adventurers as well as extreme sports enthusiasts. Helmet cameras can allow sports enthusiasts to perform their activities while video recording. There are different aspects to consider when buying helmet cameras such as data storage, image resolutions, mounting, power supply, and others. Helmet cams are not typically sold in brick-and-mortar stores, however, you can find them online.
Nash Gibson is one of the owners of the Skateboarder community and a friend of James Haden. Aside from his corporate day job as an article writer, he is also gadget buff and an amateur photographer – he is planning to take his photography and videography to the next level through formal education. James and he love to share stuff on their blog which is now a collection of vibrant shots and articles to its many readers.