A sea scooter, also known as diver propulsion vehicle or DPV, can give you the best underwater adventure. It can let you stay longer in the water without exhausting yourself. If you love snorkeling or scuba diving then you should contemplate purchasing a sea scooter. Nowadays, sea scooters are becoming more prominent among underwater aficionados since it can give them additional propulsion.
The concept behind a sea scooter is to increment the range of the diver while he is underwater. This means that the diver only exerts less effort and as a result, his air supply can last longer. To help you find the right product, we will give you a list of the most popular sea scooters that are sold in the market right now.
The Best Sea Scooters Reviews
Below our favorite sea scooters that we have tested and reviewed and picked based on their performance, speed, durability, user-feel and agility.
The Yamaha RDS250 Seascooter is the best high-end scooter. It can thrust you at a speed of 4.3 miles per hour. It’s like you are swimming faster than an Olympic swimmer. It makes diving and snorkeling more enjoyable. The self-filling ballast hull is intended for neutral resilience. It is a high-quality underwater scooter that is not meant for playing around in the pool.
Run Time: 1.5 hrs
Charging Time: 7 hrs
Depth Rating: 40 Meters/130 Feet
Gear: 3 gears
Weight: 20.5 /lbs
- Stabilizing glide fins can provide you straight-line forward operation as well as neutral buoyancy which makes your navigation and maneuverability almost perfect.
- The 3-speed transmission can provide you with some elasticity in controlling the speeds while you are diving.
- The downforce spoiler can impede any upward skidding while accelerating.
- The handlebar, which is also the main navigation control, is created from the best impact-resistant material. It is finely designed and user-friendly too!
- It includes accessory D-ring attachment points.
- The Lithium-Ion battery can be charged without pulling the battery from the unit.
- Includes GoPro mount (camera not included)
- It comes with an LED battery status indicator to easily monitor battery life.
- A reliable product with top-notch quality.
- Uses an environment-friendly Li-ion battery.
- Some parts are not made of high quality.
- For repairs, you have to send the unit to Sea-Doo.
- You need to read the manuals carefully and follow directions properly.
The Sea-Doo Dolphin Sea Scooter is the best inexpensive choice. It is an amazing scooter for your kids as well as the whole family. You can use it on the bay, lake or at home in your pool. It is very lightweight, so your kids can carry it while they are on land. This scooter is compact and very user-friendly. It is designed for adults and kids 8 years and older. An ideal sea scooter for eternal summer fun.
Speed: 3.2km/h / 2mph
Run Time: 1.5 hrs
Depth Rating: 15.5 ft (5m)
Weight: 12 lbs
- Includes safety auto-shutoff, positive buoyancy (prevent sinking), safety grille and safety lock.
- The floating chassis can hinder sinking.
- With impressive Water Leakage Sensor and Water-Cooling Motor Deployment.
- The waterproof circuitry can secure you against unexpected flooding.
- The dual throttle control with auto cutoff makes it an ideal product for the kids.
- There’s no need to worry if you accidentally drop the scooter since it will just glide back up to the surface.
- Includes GoPro mount but not the camera.
- It comes with a battery charger.
- It is a well-built sea scooter created from durable materials.
- This sea scooter is not intended for scuba diving.
If you are a genuine underwater fanatic then the Sea-Doo Pro Sea Scooter is the perfect unit for you. It is best for photographers and researchers since it is specifically made for scuba diving and snorkeling. This is a high-end sea scooter that gives you a sturdy feel. It is rated as the number one dive propulsion vehicle by Diving Science and Technology (DSAT) group. Created with high performance and portability to propel your diving experience to a whole new level of adventure.
Speed: 3 mph / 4.8 km/h
Run Time: 1.5 hrs
Depth Rating: 100ft./30m
Weight: 18 lbs
- It has a protective grill around the propeller.
- With reinforced nose cone, flexible buoyancy and two-level volatile speed control.
- Includes enhanced safety features such as water protection, overcurrent protection, low battery voltage protection, and high-temperature protection.
- Detectable alert for water ingress.
- This sea scooter is equipped with a safety lock and auto shut-off capability.
- The automatic motor cut off will shut down the scooter in case it can bump into any blockage.
- It’s very easy to use.
- A budget-friendly DPV.
- The 3-stage seal offers forthright waterproofing.
- Buoyancy can give you neutral balancing.
- It does not include a battery light indicator.
- The battery is a bit hard to change.
- It requires more rubberized protection in some portions.
- It has a speed adjustment on the left and a power switch on the right. To change the speed you have to press both triggers at the same time which is a bit troublesome when you are diving.
- You will be having a hard time maneuvering using one hand.
- It uses inexpensive materials.
Sea Scooters Buying Guide
A sea scooter is not precisely inexpensive. Even the low-priced model can still cost over two hundred dollars. Cheaper models can still be entertaining, however, they only have lower speeds. However, the depth rating is not at all bad since it can reach about 15 feet underwater.
On the contrary, a stellar sea scooter is amazingly pricey. It can cost a thousand dollars or more. If you don’t have any problem with the price then you can buy a high-end scooter. These top-notch models can travel at a speed of 4.25 mph and can let you dive down to 130 feet underwater.
For some people, they prefer to choose the middle option which is between five and six hundred dollars. With this price range, you can definitely get what you pay for. If you will double the price of the cheapest sea scooters then you can enjoy cruising at a speed of 3 mph with a depth of 100 ft and a run time of 1.5 hrs.
By all means, if you want a sea scooter for your kids to play in the pool then you can choose the cheaper one. Typically, pools have a depth of not more than fifteen feet.
Using a Sea Scooter Safely
Never push yourself beyond your limits. Certainly, a sea scooter can take you away from the shore quickly, however, never wander too far from the coastline. This is because in case something goes wrong with your scooter, you can still swim back. Unless you are an expert scuba diver, you must not dive into the water alone. The deepness of your dive will depend on your skills and experience, not on the sea scooter.
A few high-end and mid-range sea scooters permit you to adjust its buoyancy. This is vital in case you want to go deeper. If the buoyancy is not properly adjusted then it will pull you back up to the surface. Read the manual carefully on how to accomplish this.
Most sea scooters feature multiple gears. It is just similar to driving a car. The lower gear will provide you with more power, however, it can also quickly drain the battery. Be sure to toggle between gears in order to enjoy a smoother and longer cruise under the waves.
A kid who wants to use a sea scooter must also wear his swimming goggles. Sea scooters are not only amusing but it is also useful in saving lives. Another way of enjoying your summer is by using a paddleboard or a fishing kayak.
James Haden is one of the owners of the Skateboarder community, together with Nash Gibson – his co-owner. He works as a full-time copywriter for a private company and also a true adventurer. He is an avid reader, writer, traveler, and extreme sports junkie. During his free time, he researches interesting content for their blog and continuously writes for their audience.